Don’t let a nail infection bother you and affect your way of living. Check out some easy and effective home remedies for toenail fungus treatment.
Nail fungus infection, medically known as Onychomycosis, is one of the most common skin conditions caused by yeasts, overgrowth of fungi and molds. Usually, it starts with something small, like a yellow or white spot under the tip of your fingernail or toenail. Gradually, the infection spreads deeper into the nail, causing thickening, discoloration and crumbling of the nail, especially at the edges. The condition becomes painful as the infection worsens.
Worry not! If you find yourself afflicted with this fungus and wonder how to cure nail fungus naturally, we have got you covered. Choose from one of the remedies below and go natural!
8 HOME REMEDIES TO GET RID OF NAIL FUNGUS
If you are wondering how to cure nail fungus naturally In, order to treat a nail infection effectively, there is a need to use antifungal agents. There is a range of oils, herbs and other natural substances having antifungal properties of their own. Here are some of the most popular and tested home remedies for toenail fungus used by people all over the world:
Baking soda, also known as sodium bicarbonate, has many antifungal properties. Fungal infections need an acidic environment to thrive. Baking soda, being an alkaline prevents toenail fungus from spreading by creating an uninhabitable environment for the fungus. Research studies show that it is extremely effective against many fungal species that are commonly involved in toenail fungus.
How to use
- Put a small amount of baking soda inside your socks and shoes to soak up moisture. Also, you can add some baking soda to a bucket of water and do a daily foot soak.
- Alternatively, you can also make a paste of baking soda and water and apply it directly to the affected nail. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes before washing it out. Repeat this process 2-3 times a day until the infection disappears.
Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil has been used to treat skin conditions for years and it works both as an antiseptic and anti-fungal remedy. It can be used to treat a variety of conditions and is among the best treatment for nail fungus due to its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
How to use
- Firstly, properly clean the affected areas on and around the infection, then apply undiluted pure tea tree oil directly to the affected nails and let it soak in.
- You can also consider mixing the tea tree oil with other natural carriers like olive or almond oil.
- Repeat daily until symptoms decline and new healthy nail grows out completely. Keep up with the treatment for two to three more weeks to prevent reoccurrence.
Vinegar is a common household product used in cooking and few cleaning solutions. Apple cider vinegar is one of the best-known home remedies used for the treatment of nail fungus. It is effective in suggests that vinegar is an effective tool to help treat toenail fungus due to its acidic nature which creates an inhospitable environment for fungi.
How to use
- Mix warm water with vinegar in a ratio of 2:1 Now, apply this mixture directly on the affected nails by soaking the toes in it. Once you have soaked, completely dry the nails. Do this until the infection goes away.
Olive leaf extract
Extracts derived from olive leaves have shown powerful antifungal and antibacterial effects making it a useful remedy to fight nail fungal infections.
How to use
- Take a small amount of liquid coconut oil and cover your infected toenails multiple times on a daily basis.
Besides being a highly nutritious cooking oil, coconut oil is a great treasure for skin health and therefore it is used in many treatments. Many people use coconut oil to treat toenail fungus because it penetrated the protective coating of the fungi and destroys it. Additionally, coconut oil is a powerful antifungal agent.
How to use
- To help treat your toenail fungus, take a small amount of coconut oil on your fingertips and apply directly to the affected area to cure the infection.
Lavender oil possesses significant antifungal properties which makes it an effective remedy for mild cases of toenail fungus. It not only heals nail fungus but will prevent future infections or reinfections from reoccurring.
How to use
- Apply a few drops of pure lavender essential oil to the affected nails every night and let it soak in while you sleep. Optionally, you can cover your feet with a pair of socks to prevent the oil from rubbing off. Make sure not to use socks made of synthetic fibers as this will worsen the infection further.
- Also, remember a healthy-looking nail may still be having traces of fungus beneath the skin. Therefore, it is advisable to continue treatment for at least a few weeks more even after the infection appears to be gone.
The last of our home remedies for toenail fungus is Cornmeal. It is known to be effective at fighting toenail fungus because it is fatal to Candida – the most common fungal parasite that causes infections in people. Also, it contains other antifungal properties.
How to use
- Pour cornmeal into a container, mix it with water hot enough to dissolve it into a paste. Let it cool properly and then soak your feet in the paste for an hour once a week.
We often use Listerine for cleaning our mouth, but it has plenty of elements that can help kill nail fungus as well! Most Listerine products contain Eucalyptol and Thymol, which is very effective in the treatment fungal infections and any inflammation caused by the same. It also contains Salicylate, which removes dead skin cells and promotes the growth of healthy skin.
How to use
- Combine equal amounts of Listerine and water in a container and soak your feet for about 30 minutes to effectively treat the nail fungus infection.
Experts recommend that it is important to keep your nails trimmed and thin when fighting a nail infection but one should avoid any pain or bleeding. This will allow these remedies to penetrate into the nail more effectively and give better results.
It is best to start by doing a daily foot soak with baking soda, then experiment with various essential oils and extracts until you find the one that works best for you. One can also try to combine coconut oil with tea tree oil, for example, to get a two-in-one treatment.
It is also recommended to change your diet to improve the overall health of your nails. Though a dietary change cannot cure toenail fungus directly, certain diets may help improve a person’s overall health and well-being.
Diets should include plenty of nutrients. In particular, it is essential to eat foods rich in vitamins, minerals, and other minerals and nutrients that help aid nail growth.
Some foods to include in a nail-healthy diet:
- Foods that are high in Vitamin D and Calcium like dairy products, cereals
- Foods rich in lean protein to promote the growth of nails
- Include fatty acids in your diet such as seafood, nuts, broccoli
- Probiotic elements such as in yogurts
- Iron-rich foods to help prevent brittle nails, such as spinach
Ways to Prevent Toenail Fungus
While the home remedies above can help you get rid of toenail fungus, prevention is always better than cure. Here are some things you can do to stop the infection in the first place:
- Trim your toenails –It is important to clip your toenails in the right way so as to protect yourself from a fungal infection. Ensure you use sanitized clipping tools for the same. Cut your toenails straight across and file any sharp edges.
- Wear shoes that breathe – The more air that circulates in and around your feet, the better. Shoes that are too tight or don’t breathe hold in moisture and create a favorable environment for fungal growth. It is advisable to use high-quality shoes made from breathable materials like leather or canvas.
- Sanitize– Be sure to clean and sanitize your shoes on a regular basis. Also, use an antibacterial spray for them on a regular basis. Wash and dry your feet daily and make sure they are completely dry before you wear them.
- Rotate your shoes – It is a good practice to change your shoes often. Even though we all have that favorite pair that we want to wear all the time, wearing the same pair of shoes daily can elevate the risk for toenail fungus. Place your shoes in an area with plenty of air.
These preventative measures can always help to combat toenail fungus before it sets in. If these remedies don’t work, one can try over the counter medications such as ZetaClear which is clinically tested and recommended as one of the best medicines to cure nail fungus.
Many factors come into play while treating nail fungal infections, such as severity, penetration level, and overall health. If you notice any symptoms of nail fungus (brittleness, discoloration, debris under the nail, or nail thickening), consult your physician. In most cases, these home remedies are considered safe, simple to apply with fewer side effects. Taking these natural remedies along with any other fungal medication will make your nails fungus-free!
If the infection is severe, or you have a weakened immune system or diabetes, it is always advisable to consult your doctor for the appropriate course of action.